With the help of our selection of the top 3D pens, let your child explore their creativity. A nozzle that produces a line of molten plastic is included with a 3D pen. In order to create three-dimensional artworks, layers of this oozing fluid are built up on top of one another. These pens use the same technology as 3D printers and are a fun and practical substitute. Models can be made for presentations or toys, and they can be self-supporting.
Selecting the best option can be difficult because there are so many possibilities accessible. Check out our list to make your selection.
How Do 3D Pens Work?
The 3D pen operates on a straightforward principle. The plastic filament inside is heated to melt it and force it through the nozzle. Depending on the materials used to make the filament, the temperature changes. By manipulating the pen, the doodler or pen user can draw various shapes and figures. When plastic is extruded, it instantly cools and solidifies, permanently taking on the shape.
ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), PLA (polylactic acid), PVA (polyvinyl alcohol), PC (polycarbonate), HDPE (high-density polyethylene), polyamide, and glass-filled polyamide are the plastics that are typically used to manufacture 3D-pen filament.
How Are 3D Pens Different From 3D Printers?
With 3D pens, you may start making the product right away, however a 3D printer could require you to think about and design the object beforehand. Younger children should use 3D pens because of their immediate nature. They are perfect for kids because they are simpler to operate than 3D printing. In addition, whereas 3D printers cannot easily fix failed or damaged structures, 3D pens can.
10 Best 3D Pens For Kids
Best Ergonomic Design: MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen with OLED Display
Make dreams come true with this expert 3D pen from MYNT3D. A 3D pen, three rolls of ABS filament, an AC adapter, a USB cord, a user manual, and nozzle replacement tools are all included in the bundle. You may utilize the huge OLED display to monitor the material’s temperature and produce a variety of effects. If you want to learn more about the product, you may watch this video.
- controls speed so you can produce complex artwork.
- Pens with ergonomic designs are easier to hold.
- Adjustable temperatures range from 130 to 240°C.
- Modular nozzle that is easily changeable
- Easily portable powder with a power bank
- doesn’t use batteries
- Sometimes it may stop extruding
Best For Beginners: 3Doodler Start 3D Pen for Kids
This 3Doodler start pen is perfect for beginners to learn about creating, building, planning, and spatial knowledge because it is exactly what its name says. It is a 3D pen for kids that has no heated parts. Two packs of 48 eco-plastic strands in assorted colors, a micro-USB charger, and an activity sheet are included in the kit. Check out this video review to learn more about this product.
- Filament makes use of kid-safe “eco plastic.”
- Children above the age of six can use it easily because to the one-click control.
- functions using rechargeable batteries
- appropriate for STEM education
- mobile pen
- Hardening of filament takes time.
- If not used appropriately, could clog
Best Clog-Proof Nozzle: MYNT3D Super 3D Pen
For children, engineers, and artists of all ages, the Super 3D printing pen from MYNT3D may be the ideal gift. A slender 3D pen, three different colors of ABS plastic filament, an AC adapter, USB cord, a manual, and maintenance tools are all included in the set. This video review may be helpful if you are a complete novice.
- Adjustable speed slider for controlling filament flow
- Ultrasonic sealed nozzle that is clog-proof
- Smart LED signal
- Temperature adjustment screw for contrasting the properties of FLS and ABS materials
- No discrete temperature adjustment or OLED display
- The wired pen might tangle.
Best USB-Rechargeable: MYNT3D Junior 3D Pen for Kids
The Junior 3D pen, created exclusively for younger children, is offered by MYNT3D. PCL plastic, which is often advised for the MYNTD3D brand, enables their imagination to come to life. A 3D pen, USB power cord, PCL filament, stencil, and an instruction booklet are all included in the kit.
- developed ergonomically for little hands
- nozzle with a low temperature that might not burn hands
- Utilizes batteries and a tiny USB charger
- includes a one-year guarantee covering flaws.
- Burn risk absent
- incompatibility with PLA or ABS
- AC adapter is not included.
Best Non-Toxic: Tech 4 Kids 3D Magic Imagi Pen
Use this 3D Magic Imagi pen to enhance your child’s creativity. With the pen, users could create tiny fragments that could be put together to create a house or personalize a variety of products. You will also receive two magic gels, a pen stand, and two drawing mats in addition to the pen.
- uses a kid-friendly, fast-curing, non-toxic gel
- use a battery
- no heat, suitable for children
- suitable for kids ages eight to fifteen
- uses extremely safe LED lighting
- incredibly slick gel that could get dirty
- is devoid of a battery
Best Temperature Control Options: Sketch Pro 3D Printing Pen
Modern technology is used in the SketchPro 3D pen, which includes features like an auto shut-off option, flexible adjustment options, and a quick-cleaning function. The 3D pen, adapter, filament sampler, power cord, and user guide are all included.
- Designed ergonomically for a pleasant hold
- simple to read large LED display
- Changing filaments is quicker.
- portable and convenient to use
- digital controls for temperature and speed
- could clog with repeated use.
- When hot filament leaves the nozzle, it may begin to curl.
Best For STEM Learning: 3Doodler Start Hexbug Creature 3D Pen Set
With this 3Doodler 3D pen kit, your youngster might construct their own peculiar-looking HexBug monsters. It includes doodle molds to produce the bug body parts. Three Hexbug miniature robotic motors, a 3D printing pen, two packs of 3Doodler starter plastic, four themed doodle molds, a micro USB charging cable, a manual, and an activity guide are all included in this kit.
- encourages children’s STEM learning
- instructions for activities that produce the creatures in steps
- ideal for kids over the age of six
- uses child-safe, non-toxic, BPA-free plastic
- individual insectoids
- uses batteries to operate
- Possible reduced battery life
- Molded components can occasionally be challenging to attach.
Best For Motor Skills: 3Doodler Start Robotics Themed 3D Pen Set
Your child could be able to design simple two-legged, four-legged, and six-legged walking robots with the aid of the robotics-themed 3D pen set. It is a strategic learning tool that is great for STEM learning and is geared toward young engineers and roboticists. The 3D printing pen motor, battery, activity book, doodle paper, doodle blocks, micro USB cable, and four packs of plastic are all included in the pen package.
- uses non-toxic, low-heat, BPA-free plastic
- suitable for kids above the age of eight
- operates only at one temperature and one speed.
- helps develop fine motor abilities
- includes a free replacement policy that lasts for 360 days.
- Practice is necessary before using it.
- Plastic strands could spread quite quickly.
Best Wireless: SCRIB3D Advanced 3D Printing Pen
The visual appeal and color of 3D creations never fade. With the Scrib 3D Advanced Pen, you can easily create, doodle, draw, and sketch. The 3D pen is stylish and ergonomically designed with speed control and a huge LCD screen that shows settings and helps to monitor heat. The kit is perfect for both beginning and experienced learners and comes with three colors of PLA plastic.
- mobile pen
- Unloading and loading buttons
- regulating speed for the best flow
- Soft-touch material for best doodling
- reduced shut-off time
Best Lightweight: CreoPop Professional 3D Printer Pen
Instead of using plastic filament, the innovative CreoPop 3D printing pen employs cool ink or photopolymer. To release ink for precise crafting, all you have to do is push a single button. Additionally, it was simple to swap out the cartridges to build intricate models.
- Cordless and battery-powered
- Safe since no heat is produced
- Lightweight and simple to use
- includes a one-year warranty
- a practical LED light
- Perhaps cold ink won’t hold up as well as ABS and PLA plastics.
- Supported ink is solely offered by the manufacturer.
How To Choose The Right 3D Pens For Children?
The qualities you should consider when choosing a 3D pen for your youngster are listed below.
- Design: Select a 3D pen with good ergonomics that is simple to grip. Additionally, in this instance, the grip won’t be uncomfortable due to the heat from the molten plastic.
- Customizable settings: There will be a selection of extrusion speeds available with the 3D pen’s adjustable settings. It makes it simple to transition between the various temperature settings, faster infill work, and slower complex work. Working with several types of filament is now possible.
- Filament compatibility: Think about 3D pens that can use several filament types. In that situation, you can choose any readily available filament rather than sticking with a particular type when you run out of it.
- Corded or cordless: Because they are more convenient and portable, cordless 3D pen models are preferable to corded ones.
- Safety: There should be no offensive or harmful emissions coming from the filament material. Verify that they are made of non-toxic, kid-safe materials.
- Reliability: A dependable 3D pen won’t break quickly and isn’t prone to filament blockages. To determine the validity of it, read the reviews.
- Price: Before deciding to purchase a particular item, establish a budget. Once a budget has been decided upon, establish a list of potential outcomes. As a result, you might purchase the appropriate item.