Baby skin is delicate and prone to becoming dry. Therefore, we have put together a list of the top baby lotions for your child’s post-bath routine. Lotions of high quality offer gentle skin care for your child and shield it from dryness, irritability, and moisture loss. You should pick a lotion created from calming elements because baby skin is delicate and susceptible to irritants like harsh chemicals, smells, and dyes. However, with so many alternatives available, choose the best lotion might be difficult. So, look through the products listed below to pick a lotion that suits you.
Why Does A Baby Need A Lotion?
Baby lotions aid in hydrating and sealing in skin moisture. Baby skin is more delicate than adult skin because it is thinner (1). It might increase the skin’s susceptibility to moisture loss. Dry skin can cause uncomfortable rashes, irritation, infection, and other problems. Baby lotions can help retain moisture in the skin and keep it moisturized.
Types Of Baby Lotions
Baby lotions are created to suit a baby’s delicate skin. Your infant won’t experience any allergic reactions from these lotions because they are hypoallergenic. You will discover that infant lotions are available in three various forms, including lotion, cream, and ointment, while looking for lotions.
- Lotions: These feel incredibly light on the skin and are less oily than adult body lotion.
- Creams: These have a reputation for nourishing the skin and maintaining its moisture.
- Ointments: These have a high moisture content and can effectively hydrate and moisturize the skin. However, they could be very greasy and thick.
Which Lotion Will Suit Your Baby?
The main purpose of baby lotions is to protect your child from the painful effects of the following skin disorders.
- Dry Skin: Lack of moisture and environmental factors both contribute to dry skin. Even in arid conditions, lotions keep the skin moist and prevent it from becoming irritated or flaky.
- Eczema: Babies frequently have the skin disorder eczema. The skin becomes inflamed and irritated as a result. Eczema creams or lotions offer the necessary moisture to stop your baby’s scratching issues.
- Diaper Rash: Diaper rash, another common disease in infants, is brought on by prolonged exposure to damp diapers. Ointments keep the skin’s moisture locked in and stop rashes.
- Baby Acne: Acne can also affect infants. Painful red lumps on the skin are a symptom of this illness. Baby acne can be treated with a variety of lotions, but it is important to consult a doctor for guidance.
When Should You Use The Lotion?
Here, you can adhere to the adult maxim of hydrating damp skin. After taking a bath, the skin is already damp, thus applying lotion can effectively hydrate it. By doing this, the moisture is kept in and dryness is kept at bay.
17 Best Baby Lotions
Best Pediatrician-Approved: Johnson’s Moisturizing Pink Baby Lotion
This pink baby lotion, endorsed by pediatricians, provides 24-hour hydration to your baby’s delicate skin because it is enriched with coconut oil.
- The skin of the newborn is hydrated and renewed by coconut oil.
- Formula is safe to use and free of parabens, phthalates, dyes, and perfumes.
- It is hypoallergenic and won’t aggravate allergies or skin conditions.
- environmentally friendly
- Some people may not find it hydrating enough.
- Pump might not perform well.
Best Hypoallergenic: Eucerin Baby Body Lotion
Natural shea butter, which softens skin and shields it from dryness, is added to Eucerin Baby Body lotion to enhance its beneficial properties.
- Pro-vitamin B5 is included, which efficiently moisturizes skin.
- Without alcohols, parabens, dyes, or scents.
- Baby lotion that is endorsed by dermatologists and pediatricians.
- It might not be suitable for skin that is delicate.
- maybe lacking a dense texture
Best Dermatologist-Tested: Johnson’s Bedtime Baby Lotion with NaturalCalm Essences
This bedtime baby lotion with NaturalCalm aromas, in contrast to other generic lotions, has been created to not only hydrate your baby’s skin but also tol lull your baby to sleep.
- With the benefits of lily, jasmine, rose, water ivy, and apricot, this aroma is calming and comforting and helps promote sleep.
- The hypoallergenic formula does not irritate the skin or create allergies because it is free of potentially toxic colors, sulfates, and parabens.
- Lotion tested by dermatologists and pediatricians hydrates your baby’s skin softly for up to 24 hours.
- Non-greasy and quick to absorb.
- could cause skin outbreaks in some
- For some, the scent may be too strong.
Best Moisture-Rich: Baby Dove Sensitive Skin Care Body Lotion
Use this Dove body lotion to moisturize your baby’s skin. The Dove body lotion is made without colors, phthalates, or parabens and is advised for babies and older. It has been examined by dermatologists and ophthalmologists, making it safe for the delicate skin of your child.
- checked for safety lotion
- contains nutrients for the skin
- Possibility of a strong odor
- potentially greasy
Best USDA-Certified: California Baby Calendula Everyday Lotion
This lotion made entirely of plants can rejuvenate your baby’s skin for several hours. The lotion’s primary constituents, calendula and aloe vera, help hydrate dry and sensitive skin.
- contains no nuts, soy, oats, dairy, or gluten.
- Oil-free formulation
- helps soothe inflamed skin and minimize flakiness.
- The USDA-certified item is devoid of synthetic materials derived from petroleum.
- Some children could develop skin pimples.
- Some people might think that the lotion smells strongly.
Best GMO-Free: Earth Mama Organic Baby Face Nose & Cheek Balm
Here is an Earth Mama lotion that is intended to be used to the cheeks and nose. Calendula and coconut are used in its mix to calm the baby’s runny nose and drooling chin. You can watch this video to learn more before making a purchase.
- Parabens, GMOs, petroleum, synthetic perfumes, and preservatives are not present.
- keeps the baby’s skin moisturized and supple.
- is a possible substitute for petroleum jelly.
- USDA organic certification
- Some people may have dry skin as a result.
- may not be suitable for kids with rashes
Best For Eczema: Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream
This colloidal oatmeal solution, which was especially developed to relieve eczema, effectively hydrates dry, irritated skin. The lotion, which has undergone testing by dermatologists and pediatricians, is kind to the baby’s skin and offers the vital hydration. Check out this video to have a better understanding of the cream.
- Dry skin is prevented with a natural colloidal oatmeal composition.
- safeguards the moisture barrier of the skin.
- Free of parabens, phthalates, perfumes, and steroids
- may not assist in relieving dry spots on the skin.
- Frequently checking to see if the lotion is helping the youngster may be necessary.
Best For Irritated Skin: Baby Magic Calming Baby Lotion
The main ingredients in this baby lotion from Baby Magic, lavender and chamomile, ensure that your child has a sound night’s sleep. Your baby’s skin is pleasantly moisturized and cleaned by its thick, creamy formula.
- possesses a non-greasy texture and swiftly penetrates into skin
- Pure chamomile and lavender extracts have a relaxing effect.
- Aloe and vitamins infused to calm inflamed skin
- Hypoallergenic, dye-free, and dermatologist-tested
- perhaps lanolin
- The pump might not be strong enough.
Best Paraben-Free: Babyganics Daily Lotion
After your infant takes a bath, you can regularly apply this lotion to them. Your baby’s skin will be smooth and silky all day thanks to it.
- made with a NeoNourish seed oil blend that contains seed oils from tomatoes, sunflowers, cranberries, black cumin, and raspberries.
- The skin of the newborn is deeply nourished with shea and cocoa butter.
- contains none of the hazardous ingredients phthalates, parabens, or sulfates
- Formula verified by dermatologists and pediatricians is devoid of dyes and perfumes.
- Skin allergies and irritability are not brought on by hypoallergenic lotion.
- Some people’s skin may get dry from lotion.
- may have an odd scent
Best For Moisture Retention: Baby Magic Gentle Baby Lotion
The non-greasy, creamy, quick-to-absorb formula gently nourishes and moisturizes your baby’s delicate skin.
- helps to retain moisture
- Free of phthalates, parabens, and dyes
- vitamin A and E-rich
- No allergies or skin sensitivity are caused by the hypoallergenic formulation.
- Some kids might not enjoy the smell.
- sensitive skin might not be suitable
Seventh Generation Baby Lotion With Moisturizing Coconut Care
This baby lotion moisturizes the skin of the infant and prevents dry skin thanks to its 98% plant-based composition, which includes shea butter, cocoa seed butter, sunflower seed, and coconut oil.
- Deep nourishing pure coconut oil recipe is guaranteed.
- Formula without oils is gentle on the baby’s skin.
- both gluten-free and free of dangerous substances
- has a pleasant and calming aroma
- Reapplication may be required
- The skin’s absorption may take some time.
Earth Mama Calming Lavender Baby Lotion With Organic Calendula
Does your baby’s skin react negatively to skin care products? Try Earth Mama’s organic lotion instead, and don’t stress. Ingredients are safe and natural.
- created with organic herbs and oils that delicately moisturize the skin of your baby.
- Formula that doesn’t irritate the skin and is free of petroleum, mineral oil, parabens, and synthetic fragrance.
- The aroma of lavender has a relaxing effect.
- Quality-certified by Leaping Bunny
- Children who are soy allergy may not like it.
- possibly not eczema-friendly
Puracy Organic Baby Lotion
To deeply nourish your baby’s delicate skin, this lotion is enhanced with organic sunflower oil, aloe vera, shea butter, jojoba seed oil, and vegetable glycerin. It makes the baby’s skin silky and smooth and is suitable for all skin types.
- created by physicians
- Formula is hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and excellent for sensitive and dry skin.
- Skin doesn’t feel oily after applying a lightweight lotion.
- provides 24-hour deep moisturization
- For some, the scent may be too strong.
- after application, can leave a residue
Babo Botanicals Calming Baby Lotion
This plant-based solution, which is free of hazardous chemicals, helps calm dry and irritated skin. Sensitive skin is best suited for this hypoallergenic lotion.
- contains a high vitamin and antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Sunflower, chamomile, and shea butter all promote sleep.
- Free of artificial scents, gluten, soy, dairy, peanut, almond, and walnut
- smell of mild chamomile and lavender
- The smell can be too strong for young children.
- It might not absorb readily into the skin.
Johnson’s Moisturizing Baby Body Lotion With Vanilla & Oat Extract
This delicate baby lotion, which is devoid of toxic fragrances and is enriched with the goodness of oat and vanilla extracts, can moisturize and nourish your baby’s skin for 24 hours.
- It feeds the infant’s skin.
- It is devoid of phthalates, parabens, and dyes.
- The mild formulation helps keep the pH balance of the skin.
- dermatologist and pediatrician tested
- The lotion could be a little runny.
- It might not be appropriate for winter dryness
The Honest Company Purely Sensitive Face + Body Lotion
This lotion is quick-absorbing and non-greasy because it is made from natural components including chamomile, calendula, aloe, olive oil, shea butter, and jojoba oil.
- It is a hypoallergenic lotion free of silicones, parabens, and synthetic fragrance.
- For skin that is dry and prone to allergies
- contains no mineral oil
- No animal testing was done
- helps to nourish the natural moisture balance and soothe inflamed skin.
- possibly a little watery
- sensitive skin might not be suitable
Babo Botanicals Moisturizing Baby Lotion
The uniquely formulated, clinically-tested product is made for dry, sensitive skin. Both babies and adults can use the plant-based formula without becoming sick.
- enriched with the patented Nutri-Soothe Complex, which includes meadowsweet, watercress, kudzu, calendula, and chamomile.
- Allergens like gluten, soy, dairy, peanut, walnut, and almond are absent from the formula.
- Natural chamomile can smooth out rough skin.
- Jojoba oils provide moisture in the skin.
- helps heal eczema and calm sensitive skin
- perhaps leaving the skin with a patchwork appearance.
- The smell can be too strong for certain kids.
How To Choose A Baby Lotion
Here are some recommendations that you can utilize when hunting for infant lotion.
- Skin Type: Different lotions are designed to meet the demands of various skin types. You can choose a lotion or cream made for babies if they have especially sensitive skin or a skin issue. Prior to purchasing the lotion, always review the ingredients list.
- Scented or unscented: Baby products are not an exception to the rule of adding perfume to skin care products. The smell of a lotion could affect some newborns, but it might not bother others. If your infant doesn’t enjoy strong scents or fragrances, you can use an unscented lotion.
- Active ingredients: To find out if the lotion is suitable for your baby’s skin, look at its primary ingredient. For instance, the active components in certain lotions are oat derivatives. Your infant may not be able to use the lotion if they have an allergy to oatmeal. Therefore, before making a purchase, examine the lotion’s container for the list of active components.