If you are a parent of a toddler, you should think about making an investment in the top toddler sensory toys. The five senses of taste, touch, smell, sight, and hearing are all stimulated with sensory toys. To attract the baby’s attention, these toys are available in a variety of forms, textures, colors, and sizes.
These sensory-stimulation toys could be extremely beneficial for kids with specific needs, such as autism, cerebral palsy, developmental delays, or intellectual disabilities (1). We’ve compiled a list of the best sensory toys for toddlers that will appeal to one or more of their senses in this post. Continue scrolling and choose one to help your toddler develop.
15 Best Sensory Toys For Toddlers
Best Lightweight: Learning Resources Spike The Fine Motor Hedgehog
This hedgehog toy is an option if you don’t want to bring home big, cumbersome toys. When not in use, the multicolored, peg-shaped parts go into the toy’s back. For a toddler or preschooler, the quills are soft and convenient to handle. The package comes with a two-piece hedgehog, 12 quills, and an activity manual. If you want to learn more, read the product review.
- Enhances color perception, curing, and sorting abilities.
- It is easy to grip and lightweight.
- fine motor skills are improved.
- The durability of plastic construction
- Easily cleaned
- Baby’s fingers could become stuck in the cracks.
- There is a chance that the spikes won’t go in smoothly.
Best Portable: Crayola Musical Doodle Board
This musical doodler, which plays about six songs, can be appealing to your young child. One of the best sensory toys for toddlers, it contains a board with a gel-based surface that may be used to draw on. For kids ages two to ten, it requires three AA batteries and runs on them. Watch this brief YouTube review if you want to learn more about the advantages of this device.
- enhancing hand-eye coordination
- Baby’s auditory system grows while they watch musicals.
- The use of lights enhances vision.
- convenient and uncluttered
- Useful coloring tablet
- After each drawing, gel needs to be spread by hand.
- Some gel spots could develop clumps and thickening.
- batteries are not included
Best Easy-To-Clean: Fisher-Price My First Fidget Cube
BUY ON AMAZON
There are numerous original activities on each of the six sides of the Fisher-Price cube. It contains a notch, spinning rollers, a toggle switch, rubber joystick, metal and rubber buttons, and a fingerprint scanner. The baby’s senses are stimulated by all of these diverse textures, colors, and sounds. I’ll give the product a straight review here.
- teaches cause and effect
- Easily understood
- makes one more agile
- develops a person’s auditory and tactile senses
- small, easy to clean
- For small newborns, it is too big
- possibly less resilient
Best Leakproof: MAGIFIRE Tummy Time Baby Water Mat
With a fascinating sea graph and floating toys in the water, your baby will love this tummy time play. Catching the floating toys might be enjoyable for them, and eventually they might learn to bear their own weight. 100% non-toxic, BPA-free PVC materials were used to make the mat.
- dependable and long-lasting
- prepares the infant to crawl by building up their legs and arms.
- Environment-friendly mat
- improving hand-eye coordination
- Useful and portable
- need a lot of upkeep to keep mold and mildew at bay.
- Strange PVC odor is produced.
Best Non-Toxic: Manhattan Toy Tree Top Adventure Activity Center
A ton of fun elements are included in the Manhattan treetop adventure toy. It has four quadrants with a range of activities including six bead runs with vibrant wooden beads, spring flowers, six tracks of gliders with animal themes, and more.
- the movement of the animal gliders helps to flex the hands and improves coordination.
- enhances creativity
- creates opportunities for conversation
- develops a sense of adventure and curiosity
- Finish made of water and no toxins
- It could be challenging to assemble.
- base might continue to sway
Best Quality: Gleeporte Colorful Counting Bears with Coordinated Sorting Cups
60 bears in all, in six different colors, are included in the Gleeporte toy. For your child to sort the bears, it also comes with six stacking cups. Pre-K and kindergarten students benefit from their aid in learning abstract addition, subtraction, and multiplication mathematical concepts.
- aids in the activation of vision
- the improvement of coordination
- enhancing hand-eye coordination
- Exceptional and safe
- Some bears could provide a choking hazard due to their sharp edges.
Best Versatile: BettRoom Geometric Board Blocks Stack Sort
Here is another toy for toddlers that stimulates their senses while they sort and arrange the different shapes and colors. The number of holes and location on the board for each shape are both distinct. The stacking blocks are small enough for little hands to hold, and playing with them can help the baby get ready for learning in the future.
- the teaching of sizes, colors, and shapes
- eyesight is improved
- develops creativity
- increases the capacity for hand-eye coordination
- Nontoxic, BPA-free, and Phthalate-Free
- Due of their fragility, wooden pegs are prone to breaking.
- It gives out a bad odor.
Best Compatible: Educational Insights Shapes Beanbags
A triangle, square, pentagon, hexagon, rectangle, circle, star, and oval are among the eight colors and forms available for these beanbags for infants. Each bag is four to five inches wide, just right for little hands, and has the name of its shape embroidered on it. The “advice sheet” that comes with it is filled with entertaining exercises that would make learning shapes fun.
- forms and colors are taught
- improves hand-eye coordination and balance
- Storage drawstring bag that is practical
- captivates and amuses the child
- Simple to clean and portable
- less beans, more likely to be readily punctured.
- Choking risks could be presented by torn seams.
Best Interlocking Pattern: Infantino Press & Stay Sensory Blocks
BUY ON AMAZON
Your infant may have an easy-to-use collection of blocks in a variety of striking hues with this Infantin block set. Each block in the set is two inches long, for a total of 24. From any perspective, your infant would enjoy tearing them apart and reassembling them. One on top of the other, or constructed in an odd orientation.
- boosts creativity
- Excellent building pieces for fostering early engineering skills
- A wonderful interlocking design
- Easily cleanable plastic construction
- appropriate for infants over the age of six months
- rigid forms for pyramids
- sharp angles and hard surfaces
- potentially emits a foul odor
Best To Develop Fine Motor Skills: TOP BRIGHT Magnetic Toddler Toy Game Set
Consider inviting the outdoors inside your house. You might teach your child about the outdoors, insects, and birds with the help of this magnetic play set. A mother bird, a young bird, and adorable caterpillars may be found on this hardwood creation. Playing with your child and acting as though you’re feeding the baby bird will help you teach them how to respect the environment and the creatures that share it.
- strengthens communication abilities
- It may foster empathy and a sense of duty to feed the birds.
- the improvement of hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills
- With rounded corners and a smooth paint finish
- acquire color recognition abilities
- gives them a mental foundation for future learning
- The paint can fade.
- In the trunk, worms occasionally get stuck.
- Possible weakness of the magnet
Best Easy-To-Carry: Kenley Toddler Busy Board
The Montessori sensory board will assist your kid in developing the abilities needed for getting up, dressing, and going outside. To educate kids how to put on a shirt, pants, coat, and shoes, it was made with soft welt wool and has nine different ties, buttons, and buckles. Due of its comprehensive coverage of developmental areas, it can be among the greatest sensory toys for toddlers.
- teaches the basic techniques for dressing.
- encourages the use of hands-on methods and fine motor skills
- A variety of difficulty-leveled buttons and buckles
- engaging and calming activity
- perfect for travel removable carry strap
- Certain components could provide a choking risk.
- Many puzzles may appear to be close to one another.
Best Durable: Toy Chest Colorful Shape Sorting Puzzle Cube
Spaces are provided in this sorting puzzle so that the proper shapes can be sorted and fixed. A unique spot on the cube is occupied by each of the 12 vividly colored shapes. Your youngster can do this to practice sorting, which helps them become more coordinated. Their muscles will get stronger by fitting the proper shape into the slot.
- increases one’s ability to solve problems
- promotes imagination and creativity
- instructs in hues and forms
- Water-based, non-toxic paint was used to stain high-quality BPA materials.
- smooth-edged, robust, and lasting blocks
- As time passes, paint may flake off.
- Easily removed lid
Best Easy-To-Assemble: Happkid Toddler Bath Toy
With the help of this Happkid bath toy, you can keep your child interested and excited during bath time. It includes a small brush, a water cup with a rotating gear, a water jet, and an adorable water faucet. Fill the yellow cup with water, then let the child turn on the faucet to get water flowing or press the bright orange button to start the water jet. Your child’s hand-eye coordination improves as they fill the cup with water.
- improving fine motor skills
- Suitable for children from one year to three years old.
- very simple to construct and store
- materials made of soft, non-toxic rubber
- Reviews of rubber suction vary.
- Lack of sufficient water capacity in the cup
Best Entertaining: iPlay, iLearn Baby Music Activity Cube
With this iPlay iLearn music learning cube, your child may add some musical enjoyment to their playtime. It features a jazz drum, a guitar, and a trumpet. Along with volume and power control controls, it contains three buttons for switching songs and managing playlists. For your child to sing karaoke, there is also a microphone set.
- develops hearing abilities
- entertains and engages them
- encourages use of hands and fingers, as well as interaction between them
- cultivates fine motor skills
- Active play is promoted while traveling with a portable headphone.
- delicate infant ears need soft volume levels.
- At times, the volume could be low.
Best Easy-To-Store: Morwant Bristle Interlocking Building Blocks
Children may simply interlock the pieces together at various angles with the help of the bristles on the popular 3D building blocks from Morwennt. 126 pieces make up the set, which your child’s imagination and inventiveness can use in countless ways. Additionally, it features 16 wheels that move, giving the built-in objects motion.
- Muscle growth in the infant
- enhancing hand-eye coordination
- instructs in hues and forms
- helps with concentration, memory, and focus
- effortless for small hands
- phthalate- and BPA-free, and suitable for oral use
- comes in a transportable, handy bag
- brittle or delicate parts
- Easily attainable building collapse
How To Choose The Right Sensory Toys For Children?
You should take the following factors into account when purchasing your child’s greatest sensory toy.
Think about toys that are eye-catching to children and grab their attention, including those that are vivid and colorful with contrasting patterns and hues.
In order for small hands and fingers to feel the toy, look for items with raised or supple textures. Touching and learning about various textures will be enjoyable for the infant.
Ideal toys are ones that emit sound or melody. A sound that is played when a button is touched or a toy is squeezed is what you should be looking for.
Pick toys that are devoid of BPA, phthalates, lead, PVC, and other chemicals that are harmful to children. Nothing that could provide a choking danger, such as sharp edges, exposed screws, or small pieces, should be present.
Toys by age:
So that your child can enjoy the toys for a very long time, invest in toys that change and grow with your child as they become older.