Your newborn premature baby may be overwhelmed by the stimulation of the outside world. Your newborn will feel safe and cozy in the best swaddle for preemies. Having a swaddle made specifically for premature infants is crucial because of their delicate skin. All the way from sack-like patterns to adjustable closures that allow you to swaddle your baby in comfort whether you’re at home or on the go, our evaluation of swaddles will help you find the ideal one for your needs. Read about them here.
12 Best Swaddles For Preemies
Best for “Arms-Up” Position: Love To Dream Swaddle UP
Some infants sleep better with their arms tucked in behind or across their bodies for comfort, while others prefer the “arms-up” position that allows them to self-soothe while they rest. They can accomplish that with this swaddle from Love to Dream, and the cozy, safe feeling of the swaddle will help them sleep better by reducing the startle reflex. Without having to learn how to use Velcro or any other complex fasteners, a simple twin-design zipper keeps it closed and makes diaper changes a breeze.
- Dual-track zipper
- Material that stretches a lot
- The arms-up position isn’t ideal for all babies.
Best Cotton: SwaddleMe Original Swaddle
Babies weighing between 7 and 18 pounds can use one of the three SwaddleMe Original swaddle sizes. The 100% cotton used in these swaddles is incredibly soft, allowing the baby to feel safe and cozy while also being wrapped up in a blanket. They provide an environment similar to the womb and make the baby feel safe and secure. This material can be washed in a machine.
- Wrap for infants with a length-and-width adjuster
- Includes a secure hook and loop fastening
- Back cutout makes it suitable for use in swings and bouncers.
- Consists with a silky surface
- Possible increased thickness
- It could be too big for premature infants.
Best for Summer: The Ollie Swaddle
This swaddle is constructed of moisture-wicking material, just like high-end athletic clothing for adults, to ensure that baby stays cozy and dry. As it is composed of 86% polyester and 14% spandex, it is lightweight and breathable to keep you from getting too hot. There are Velcro tabs for closure at the shoulders, and an elastic loop for tying around the baby’s feet. No need to unfasten the entire swaddle when changing a diaper; just open the bottom. This swaddle can be machine washed and dried in the included delicates laundry bag.
- Snap fasteners
- The elastic closure at the bottom ensures privacy.
- Equipped with a laundry bag
- There’s a chance it’s too big for certain newborns.
Best Durable: Bublo Baby Preemie Swaddle Blanket Wrap
BUY ON AMAZON
For infants up to seven pounds, the Bublo Baby swaddles may be the best option. The three 100% cotton wraps included in the set are soft and gentle on the skin of the newborn. The swaddling sacks, which come in three different sizes, provide a cozy environment similar to the mother’s womb for the baby. As an added bonus, they prevent the infant from being shocked and offer comfort. The swaddle will last a long time and is very sturdy.
- Open door policy
- Reliably adaptable hook-and-loop fastener
- Consisting of a permeable fabric
- Could see a marginal reduction in size
- It could be inconvenient to put Velcro there.
Best Breathable Cotton: The Original Woombie Baby Swaddling Blanket
Woombie swaddling wrap, made of 95% cotton and 5% spandex, is perfect for infants weighing 5 to 13 pounds. The blanket is in the form of a wearable sack, which eases the transition from the womb to the outer world. This is because it is constructed from cotton, which allows air to circulate freely. Having a two-way zipper is helpful when you need to change a baby’s diaper. You can learn more about the product by watching my video review.
- Facilitates Sleep Position Changes
- No arms allowed inside
- Slim in the midsection
- Fabric that stretches
- Protect your zipper with this snap-over tab.
- Possibly too constricting around the throat
- To some, zipping up may be a challenge.
Best With Moisture-Wicking Technology: Halo Sleepsack Micro-fleece Swaddle
The Halo baby swaddle is a sleep bag constructed entirely of soft and cozy polyester micro-fleece. If you have a premature baby, this is the perfect way to get them some rest. This plush is not only extremely comfortable, but also features advanced moisture-wicking construction. The baby stays cozy and the startle response is lessened. The inverted zippers on the swaddle’s three openings make for speedy diaper changes. Babies up to 5 lbs. can be swaddled safely and comfortably in this swaddle.
- Cut without sleeves, so you don’t get too hot
- Perfect fit guaranteed by wide cutouts at shoulder and neck
- A sack with plenty of room
- Perfect for all weather
- Some people could find it too tiny and the zipper a little too weak.
Best For Double-Layered Hat: Pesaat Cotton Baby Swaddle Hat Set
Baby will feel safe and secure in the Pesaat wrap because it is constructed of high-quality cotton. The hat’s stretchy, snug shape provides extra warmth by trapping air between the two layers. These swaddles are simple to use and appropriate for everyday wear; they come in a range of sizes and color options to accommodate your baby as he or she develops.
- Superbly soft, breathable, and featherweight fabric
- The seams are reinforced.
- The brim of the hat may be folded up for storage.
- Use it to block the sun, dry off after a shower, or drape over your stroller.
- Is gentle enough for use on sensitive skin.
- Could be a tad on the hefty side.
- There’s a chance it’ll shed lint.
Best For Sensitive Skin: MioRico Baby Swaddle Blankets
Swaddle your newborn in comfort with a MioRico organic cotton swaddle. They come in a range of sizes to accommodate your baby as they develop. The airy, hypoallergenic material is great for anyone with skin sensitivities. The hook-and-loop closure on the blanket allows you to adjust the wrap’s tightness and keep the baby warm. It prevents the infant’s arms from flailing around, which might cause unnecessary waking, and gives the baby a womb-like environment in which to relax.
- To prevent unraveling, an overlock stitch is used.
- Discoloration-preventing ink
- Two-layer, pliable construction
- Wide, curved, and machine-washable
- resists shrinking and pilling
- There is a risk that Velcro will lose its adherence over time.
- It’s possible the material is a hair thicker than anticipated.
Best Super Warm: Kermode Baby Swaddle Blanket
Kermode makes adorable preemie wraps that are perfect for both giving as presents and using yourself. With its teddy bear pattern, separate leg compartments, hook-and-loop fasteners, and lack of tail, this infant swaddle is as convenient as it is comfortable. Made from synthetic materials that mimic cashmere, these blankets-on-the-go are extremely cozy and versatile. The sack swaddle works for both boys and girls and may be thrown in the stroller for convenience.
- Easy on the eyes and the body
- Calming for a newborn’s sensitive skin
- Fast wrapping
- Internal fabric with a silky finish
- Perhaps not in as many hues as you’d like
Best Swaddle Blanket: aden+anais Swaddle Blanket
The adaptability of these Aden + Anais blankets is often praised. They’re perfect for swaddling because of their size and weight, but you can also use them for tummy time, nursing, as a burp cloth, and more. The new mothers will love their adaptability.
They don’t have Velcro or any other fastening, so you’ll have to get good at swaddling. When you do, you’ll be able to design a wrap that’s perfect for your child. There are eighteen different print possibilities available for this set of four blankets made from silky bamboo muslin.
- You can choose from more than 20 different designs.
- Swaddling skills are a must (no Velcro)
Best for Preemies: SwaddleMe Pod, 2-Pack
SwaddleMe’s pod swaddles are perfect for wrapping around teeny newborns to keep them toasty and secure. They include a convenient center zipper that eliminates the need for wrapping, latching, or complicated folding, and can accommodate users between 5 and 12 pounds and up to 21 inches in height.
This set includes two bags, one of which is pink and the other of which features cute little butterfly illustrations. Additionally, they are available in a wide variety of hues, designs, and fabrics, as well as a range of sizes to accommodate the inevitable expansion of baby’s wardrobe (see our best overall pick). These are comprised of a stretchy blend of 93% cotton and 7% spandex and have a two-way zipper for quick and easy diaper changes.
- With a reversible zip, you can go either way
- There is a selection of other hues, designs, and materials
- Possibly won’t wrap some infants as securely as they need to be
- can’t be adjusted
Best for Transitioning: Baby Merlin Microfleece Magic Sleepsuit
The AAP and most manufacturers advocate discontinuing swaddling once baby can roll to their stomach, but this microfleece “magic” sleepsuit from Baby Merlin can assist ease the transition out of swaddling by calming the baby’s startle reflex without allowing them to roll over. In addition to the larger sizes, this one is made for infants weighing between 12 and 18 ounces (about 3-6 months old).
- Reduces fright responses
- There is no need to wrap it
- Effective for certain applications.
- Some infants could potentially be uncomfortable with the temperature.
How To Choose The Right Preemie Swaddle?
Here are some things to think about when purchasing a swaddle for a premature infant.
Swaddle your baby in cotton since it is breathable and will allow air circulation. In addition, they are designed to keep you dry by wicking away sweat as you exercise. In addition, fleece is great for chilly climates.
It’s best to use a stretchy swaddle that allows the baby some mobility of the arms and legs. In addition, it will ensure a comfortable, close fit.
Think about a saddle with a sack shape or one that closes with hook-and-loop tape or velcro. These help maintain a snug covering and quiet startled responses. Select a stretchy and open swaddle if you intend to gradually wean your baby from the wrap.
Age and size:
Swaddles come in a range of sizes to accommodate infants of varying ages and sizes. Make sure your kid is cozy and protected by getting the correct size. A choking hazard could occur if the swaddle is too loose.