Digital tablets are ideal for grabbing your child’s interest since they have brilliant screens that show vibrant, colorful visuals. The top tablets for children will aid in their education, entertainment, and enlightenment. However, many parents might not agree with the notion of providing their kids tablets. But it depends on seeing how they utilize it and letting them. Children’s knowledge is widened by digital tools like tablets. However, several well-known programs offer child lock settings that restrict what videos you can see to educational and kid-friendly content, including Youtube. You must monitor your child’s internet behavior as a parent and set the appropriate limits. So, if you’ve made up your mind to get your kid a tablet, we’ve compiled a list of the best ones for you.
11 Best Tablets For Children
We have separated the list into two parts based on the age range of the children for your convenience.
Tablets for children up to nine years old
Best For Beginners: VTech Little Apps Tablet
First-time users, especially young children who are just starting school, should choose this VTech tablet. This one should be taken into consideration if you want something very simple. To learn more about the product, view this video.
- The tablet contains buttons and huge alphabet keys that are simple for kids to use. The youngster may effortlessly choose between different activities thanks to a slider on top.
- It features 12 educational activities, including those for learning words, numbers, counting, and calendar days.
- Simple pictures on the screen make it simple for kids to understand. The screen’s backlight can be changed to a variety of colors using a dedicated button.
- The tablet does not require charging and runs on two AA size batteries. After 90 seconds of inactivity, a mechanism called auto shut-off turns off the tablet.
- Since the tablet lacks a true operating system, you are only able to use the apps that the vendor ships, which limits your options.
- Due to the tablet’s basic functionality, the child will outgrow it shortly.
Best Interface: VTech InnoTab 3 Plus Kids Tablet, Pink
The InnoTab’s superb UI and plethora of programs make it almost as good as a real tablet for kids. To find out more about the product, watch this video.
- The tablet’s touchscreen, motion sensor, and microphone are its standout features. Given that it uses a basic proprietary operating system, its feature set is rather outstanding.
- The kid can take part in a variety of activities, including writing in cursive and making music.
- With all of the educational games and apps it provides, the tablet can be a useful tool for entertaining a restless child.
- There isn’t much pre-loaded stuff. The cost of the tablet as a whole can exceed your budget if you have to pay extra for additional content.
Best Touchscreen: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultimate
It is the perfect first tablet for small children because it features a sizable touchscreen and manual control as well. To find out more, watch this product review video.
- The tablet includes a directional pad, usually known as a D-pad, with arrow buttons on each of its four sides. The kid can choose from a variety of on-screen highlighted applications and icons.
- Children can also operate the touchscreen with a finger or a stylus. The tablet is simple to use because to its many control options.
- There are several kid-friendly games, eBooks, and films pre-loaded on the tablet. Using Wi-Fi, all content can be updated, and new content can be uploaded.
- The tablet has a built-in web browser that gives users access to kid-safe websites that have been pre-selected. A simple camera enables the capture of images and videos.
- LeapFrog reduces the possibility of harm from falls by encasing the primary tablet body in a frame that cushions bumps.
- In three to four months, a few parents discovered the battery was dying.
- The tablet was found to be less robust than the maker had advertised due to issues including broken screens and malfunctioning buttons.
Best For Education: LeapFrog Epic Academy Edition
Consider this LeapFrog tablet with a heavy focus on educational content if learning activities are your main concern.
- Your child can personalize the tablet’s home screen to suit their tastes in design.
- LeapFrog Academy’s subscription is free for three months. It gives users access to a number of reading, math, and science activities.
- A child’s usage time can be limited by parents. You are only allowed to use the app for up to 45 minutes overall and 30 minutes for videos.
- A robust bumper is included with the tablet as protection. Additionally, the screen is resistant to breaking.
- The child may quickly outgrow the tablet due to the lack of educational content.
- The tablet’s UI interface dissatisfied a few parents.
Tablets for Kids Over Nine Years Old
The list we have next includes a few somewhat advanced tablets that kids can use after they reach adulthood.
Best Parental Control: Apple iPad (Wi-Fi, 32GB) – Silver (Previous Model)
When searching for the greatest tablet experience for your adolescent child, have a look at Apple’s iPad.
- Through the App Store, the youngster gets access to thousands of top-notch educational apps. Many of these applications expand their material to grow with the child.
- iOS has a wide range of parental controls, from preventing app installs to limiting objectionable material.
- As iPads can be damaged by a child’s hard handling, you will need to invest money on a screen protector and a bumper cover.
Best Hardware: Samsung Electronics SM-T830NZKLXAR Galaxy Tab S4 with S Pen
The Galaxy Tab S4 is a good option if you’re searching for a typical Android tablet for your teen.
- It has the newest and greatest hardware, including an octa-core processor and a high definition LED screen. Teenagers who frequently use tablets for educational purposes are most suited for the hardware.
- The Android operating system has a number of parental control tools, including the ability to lock the app store and create user accounts that limit access to particular services.
- You can also download third-party parental control apps that can send real-time usage information to the parent’s phone because it runs the Android operating system.
- Since there is a wealth of material online on how to bypass parental controls, older kids who are tech-savvy may find ways to get around parental supervision.
- Parents may get a lot of information about a child’s gadget usage from third-party apps, but they can be expensive.
Best Durable: Fire 7 Kids tablet, 7″ Display, 16 GB
The Amazon Fire 7 tablet in question is the children’s model. It is one of the best tablets for kids because it comes with a number of pre-loaded features and default services.
- A one-year membership to Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is included with the tablet. 20,000 kid-friendly apps, games, films, ebooks, audiobooks, and other educational materials are all accessible through it.
- A remarkable 2-year replacement warranty is provided. Amazon will replace the tablet for free and without any conditions if the kid smashes it.
- To protect the tablet, each Fire 7 Kids Edition comes with a tough bumper shell with reinforced corners. Cut-outs in the bumper make it possible to use headphones and a charger without taking the case off.
- The tablet’s content is all suitable for children. However, the tablet still offers a lot of parental control.
- It utilizes an exclusive operating system from Amazon. It entails the absence of Android and denial of access to Google’s services, such as the Google Play app store.
Best Screen Size: Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids tablet, 10.1″, 1080p Full HD
Teenagers and adults with young children enjoy using the Fire 10. This should be your pick if you want to replace your Fire 7 or if you want your child to experience using a tablet with a huge screen.
- The Fire 10’s 10.1-inch full HD display offers sharp and clear visuals, making it the perfect choice for kids who read ebooks most of the time.
- Compared to the seven-inch model, the battery life has improved. The Fire 10 features 32 GB of storage and a 10-hour battery life.
- All of the advantages of the Fire 7 are included with the Kindle Fire 10, including Amazon’s 2-year replacement warranty.
- The tablet does not have an Android version. You can only select from the services and tablet apps that Amazon creates.
- Some parents claim that a recent OS upgrade has made the interface a little bit difficult for kids to understand.
Best For Monitoring Usage: SAMSUNG SM-T290NZSKXAR, Galaxy Tab A Kids Edition
Allow your child to use this Samsung kids tablet safely as they explore the large selection of Android games and applications.
- You can set a time limit for tablet use on the Samsung Kids service dashboard that comes with the tablet. Once the limit is reached, the service automatically terminates apps.
- A great tool to avoid any surprises for the parents is the ability to disable in-app purchases, which prevents the child from making any transactions within the program.
- For the tablet, Samsung has partnered with Dreamworks Animation, Sesame Street, and National Geographic to deliver high-quality, subscription-based children’s entertainment and informational content.
- The manufacturer includes a soft and sturdy bumper cover when shipping the tablet.
- The tablet has long-term usage because Android is pre-installed on it. Once your child enters their adolescent and young adult years, they can use it as a supplementary media device.
- The screen resolution is 1024 x 600, which is lower than the standard screen resolution for an Android tablet (1280 x 720 HD).
- The vast selection of Android apps and multimedia files the kids can download on the tablet may make the 40 GB storage insufficient.
Best Content: Dragon Touch KidzPad Y88X, WiFi, Android 10, 7” IPS HD Display, 32GB ROM
Disney fans will adore this tablet because it has a ton of fun Disney stuff pre-loaded on it.
- The tablet includes 18 Disney storybooks and six audiobooks, featuring several of the studio’s most beloved films, such as Frozen, Finding Nemo, Zootopia, and Toy Story.
- Kidoz, a proprietary Android-based interface, powers tablets. It is both kid- and family-friendly.
- A silicone case that comes with the tablet shields it from bumps and drops.
- The hardware may appear obsolete, but unless the youngster is a heavy user, it shouldn’t be a problem.
- The tablet’s durability did not impress some parents.
Best Silicone Case: Dragon Touch Y88X Pro 7 inch Kids Tablets, 2GB RAM 16GB ROM, Android 9.0
The Dragon Touch tablet with its sturdy shell is ideal for you if you are concerned about the tablet’s durability since your child has butterfingers.
- An extensive silicone case for the tablet is included. The device is dropped-proof thanks to the side bumpers, and watching videos is made simple by the back stand.
- Four audio books and 20 Disney storybooks are included right out of the box.
- The seven-inch screen is larger than rival kids’ tablets and has a greater resolution.
- Despite having a quad-core processor, the device’s UI looks to be slow.
- Some customers reported interface bugs, which they blamed on a malfunctioning gadget.
How To Pick The Right Tablet For Kids?
The four key considerations when purchasing a kids’ tablet are listed below.
Age of the child:
The child’s expectations for the tablet depend on their age. Young children who are just starting school will be fine with simple tablets without a traditional OS (Android and iOS). The likelihood of a child demanding “genuine” tablets, like the ones their parents use, increases as they get older, usually around the age of six.
Parental control features:
Parental lock is a crucial feature that enables parents to stop their kids from viewing particular websites and to restrict access to specific apps. Tablets for children are distinguished by their parental control capabilities.
Apps and services:
The majority of tablets have pre-installed services and apps. Verify the pre-installed apps to see if they are suitable for kids. You must clean the tablet if it is likely to contain something objectionable before allowing the child to use it.
Accessories and protection:
When grasping anything delicate, children can not always have a firm grip. To protect it, choose a tablet that comes with a complimentary case or bumper. Additionally helpful are a limited replacement warranty and damage insurance.
Make sure your child has a safe tablet experience, regardless of the tablet you choose. In the part next, we offer some advice on how to allow kids use tablets safely while still letting them have fun.
Tips For Tablet Usage In Children
Children above the age of two should not spend more than two hours per day on screens (screen time is not recommended for children under this age) (1). The American Academy of Pediatrics advises parents to limit their children’s screen time to one hour each day (2). It can be challenging to persuade kids, especially teenagers, to use the iPad for no longer than a few hours. However, before handing the child the tablet, you can establish certain ground rules. Spreading out your tablet use throughout the day is a great method to avoid using it all at once.
Avoid tablet use in bedroom:
Establish a special area where the child can use the tablet while seated. Tablet use is best avoided in the bedroom because it could disrupt sleep. One hour before night, it’s advisable to avoid media usage (3). Another helpful habit is to glance away from the screen once every 20 minutes.
Adequate distance from the eyes:
The child’s gaze should be around a foot away from the tablet screen. In the long run, staring at a screen that is kept close to the eyes can wear out the eyes and impair vision.
Review the child’s usage on the device:
Every once in a while, check the tablet. It is a fantastic technique to see if any unsuitable content was downloaded onto the device by mistake. A nice technique to change any parental control settings is to review the device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I get my child a laptop or tablet?
Tablets have a lengthy battery life, despite their compact size, low weight, and high durability. They’re user-friendly and may be taken anywhere thanks to their interactive interface. However, young people might not be able to handle the complexity and bulk of a laptop.
Is 32GB enough for a kid’s tablet?
Kid-friendly tablets typically have pre-installed or streaming entertainment rather than downloaded stuff, therefore a storage capacity of 34 GB is appropriate for their needs. This storage capacity on a tablet may be adequate for use with some educational and gaming software.
Can my child attend online classes on a tablet?
Online classes are accessible for kids to take on tablets. Tablets, in contrast to laptops, are inexpensive and suitable for use by children. Tablets, with their more user-friendly interface, also facilitate children’s online learning.
Do tablets help students learn faster?
Tablet computers operate as a kind of digital library, storing and organizing information while also encouraging students to stay on their feet and participate. When compared to conventional classroom instruction, tablet-based lessons feature engaging audio-visual content and interactive sessions.
What are educational tablets?
Educational tablets are tablets designed specifically for educational purposes. Children’s educational content on such tablets could consist of nursery rhymes, short stories, and songs.
When used properly, tablets may be a great resource for teaching and entertaining kids. Benefits to the child’s health can be maximized by using the tablet primarily for academic purposes, limiting screen time, monitoring the child’s actions, and providing plenty of opportunity for physical play. The tablet will last longer with regular maintenance and careful use. The aforementioned tablet buying advice will help you choose the best tablet for your kids.